Friday, February 12, 2010

She's Back

Alright, now it's time to own up. I came home from the job in Brenham. I've all sorts of reasons for only working there for two months. The closest thing I can figure to the deepest truth is this: lack of what it takes to be that close to him and feel I'm not helping.

I've never felt my heart break anywhere near in comparison to the day I heard my dear friend Toby say "autism," in reference to Caleb, and then I opened a dictionary and understood that it fit--until my time spent at Brenham State Supported Living Center as a nurse for The Cottages.

It was like being dropped into a war zone to retrieve those held captive - like a Rambo movie - and utterly failing. But you know what? Every day of my life, I feel I have failed my child.

I am not sharing these thoughts with the world for sympathy, the last thing parents of challenged individuals need, but understanding maybe, mostly for all of the families out there also in this battle. We all love our babies. We hurt for our babies, even when they are twenty-five. And we do need prayer.

Our children also need the love of people other than their parents. They like receiving cards and letters, too.

Brenham State Supported Living Center
4001 Highway 36 South
Brenham, TX 77833-9611

This is the general address. If you want to send a "Hello" to Caleb Jones, simply use the above address and put "for Caleb Jones" on the envelope. I will take it from there. For more information go to brenham state schools/brenham.html

God will bless you for being a friend to the friendless.

5 comments:

Nidia Cabrera said...

I bet it must have been hard to be so close to Caleb, and not being able to achieve results with him. But realize that God and Caleb know that your love for him is so grand, and that love will never change. That love transcends anything else.

nettiefudgesworld said...

Rhonda:

I'm glad you're back, but hear the turmoil in your blog. You shared your heart and I thank you for that. Love ya, girlfriend, and you're always in my prayers.

Janetta

Rhonda Leverett said...

Rhonda

This is a tough blog. I like that you sent out the idea to send cards to people at the school. Maybe one day when we get the farm set up, we can bring people from there to the farm on field trips. Need to get the farm fixed first before we can do that though. Love, Dan

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear this but I understand. You are a good person.

Anonymous said...

..Hello, Calebs Mom. I just wanted you to know that Ive seen Calebs smile. What a glorious smile he has! I work at BSSLC..not at his home but across campus. Ive also seen him "march". Funny..even tho I do'nt know him, I knew he was doing a 'happy march'.